A Step Towards the Dream

/
0 Comments
It should come as no surprise that my "childhood" dream is to become a great designer, and while working as hard as I possibly can is always my go-to way to accomplish this goal, it's easy to forget one of the crucial steps to actually get a job. Recently, I partnered up with another spectacular designer and fellow student to practice this terrifying necessary evil: Interviewing.

Talking about myself is a great struggle. Give me a piece of artwork and I can examine, critique, and lecture about every detail in front of a large audience with zero problems. Ask me about myself and some of my achievements and I stumble like a small child learning to talk for the first time. During our practice, I realized I have a terrible habit of narrating my inner thoughts. For example, I pulled the stereotypical "I should not have said that..." during the middle of answering a question. Simply stated: I AM NOT GOOD AT THIS!!! Yet, the first step is admitting that this flaw exists. From here on out, I can only get better with practice.

Without reflection, I may have missed the simple underlying lesson with all of the interviewing practice. Any of us could be the next big designer. You or I could possibly outshine the great Frank Lloyd Wright or Frank Gehry but the world would never know due to lack of simple communication skills. Don't be afraid to tell others what you, and you only, know and can do. It may be the difference between being just another designer or the next big thing.







You may also like

No comments:

Looking for Something?